Runing and Stopped

Two months ago I decided to add a stop to Vito's dogwalk contact.  Vito LOVES his running but we still don't have turns off it and he would often shorten the last stride if I couldn't convince him we were just running straight into nothing.  Turn training just wasn't happening without regular access to train on a dogwalk.  Ignoring the issue has worked really well for NADAC :) but not so much if I'm still thinking of doing some USDAA with him.

There seems to be a bandwagon of people doing both running AND stopped dogwalks now and clearly I'm always one to be a part of the hip crowd!  I'm just really hoping that having either pure extension or pure collection on the dogwalk will make it simpler for both of us.

Vito already knows a 2o2o, kinda.  He has one for his teeter but I can't say he's ever really done one at speed.  Of course the main challenge to our turn training was the same: lack of equipment.  But once to twice a week we've been training.  Starting with a flat plank and slowly adding speed before it via a tunnel.  We then moved to the dogwalk doing just the down plank and there we have remained.  I think our problem is that I'm inadvertently rushing things.  I'm perfectly fine with taking things slow but because of our limited practice times it feels like we have been doing this forever when in reality the number of sessions have been few.


New training plan: help him out more.  Vito does NOT need to be thinking in his training.  I need to re scale back to getting rid of my handler motion.   I also need to make up my mind if I'm to reward him when he misses the 2o2o but does stop off the board.  Currently I'm about 50/50 whether I reward it or not.  I'm torn between setting black and white criteria for him or rewarding his effort and trying to keep his attitude up and brain out.

Brigid  – ( August 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM )  

What I love most about your blog is that the dog are having SO MUCH FUN trainig. It totally turns the idea that well-trained dogs are robots on its head. Also, I love your helpful pages section. Keep up the good work!

Best Electric Razor  – ( August 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM )  

Hi,
I just wanted to comment your blog and say that I really enjoyed reading your blog post here. It was very informative and I also digg the way you write! Keep it up and I’ll be back to read more soon mate.

andrea  – ( August 27, 2012 at 12:52 PM )  

Criteria establishment is so hard ... what's good enough? what reward for what behaviour?

i still freaking struggle with it too - and my 4 on should be pretty dang simple.... aaggghhhhhhh

Kathy Mocharnuk  – ( August 28, 2012 at 5:50 PM )  

I like the idea of both a running and a stopped. Did you see Denise frenzies blog post today about rewarding mistakes? I thought it was very good.

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( August 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM )  

Kathy, I just read Denise's post now and that's perfect! I've always loved her philosophy in training and this article today is a perfect reminder. I think sometimes I get stuck trying to look at things from an scientific/clean training point of view which isn't bad but it's less fun :)

Today I was able to practice again in between some demos at the state fair, and simply getting rid of my handler motion cleared up the issue entirely and he was way more speedy/confident. It's obviously what he needs at this point and I'm sure I'll be able to add back in my motion in a bit and reward effort.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"