5 Weeks Recovery

Five weeks of rest for the Corgi.  Lots and lots of stuffed kongs.  So sick of stuffing kongs!


At least it's been really easy to keep his calories about the same.  Since I've been feeding a mixture of Honest Kitchen and kibble to the dogs for awhile now, it's perfect for sticking together and freezing in the kongs!  Lance hasn't gained a single pound :)

The corgi is enjoying some increased time out of his crate.  He hasn't really tried to jump on the couches or play much with Zumi.  Zumi is past his favorite stage though.  Lance really loves puppies who are smaller than him, and while Zumi may still be 2lbs less she is certainly a lot taller!

Ear is mostly up!  He's still unable to control it though so at times it looks like the left side of his face is the broken one, especially when he usually greets people with 2 ears back and now only the left ear folds!  Eye drops are being given a few times a day due to decreased ability to blink.  But there's no more drooling out of his mouth, although he can't completely pull his lips back.

Lance did come on a park walk for the first time this weekend.  Saddened that he had to keep on the flexi but super happy to be out in the world!  Walking is very good, but still feels slightly off to me.  Doesn't seem to be in any pain though!


He did do more hopping about than I wanted and I gave lots and lots of easy commands.  Here you can see how he can't fully smile on the right side.
 

The Toller and Duck had fun too of course.


Kim  – ( February 22, 2015 at 10:58 AM )  

I'm happy to hear Lance is doing better! I hope all his neuro symptoms continue to improve :)

Achieve1dream  – ( June 15, 2015 at 1:57 PM )  

Poor Lance!!! It makes me so sad him going through this, but I'm so happy there is improvement. Did you ever figure out what caused all of this? Was it something environmental or just some random brain misfiring?

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( June 15, 2015 at 6:10 PM )  

I don't think we will ever know what the trigger was for the herniated disc. It's certainly possible he jumped badly off the couch during the night as he went to "bed" fine and was barely able to walk in the morning. Corgi's are sadly prone to it.

Achieve1dream  – ( June 15, 2015 at 7:41 PM )  

Yeah... that's why I turned down a free Corgi puppy unfortunately. I want a slightly smaller dog for my next one, but the back problems scare me. I'm sad to turn down the puppy though because it's free and from champion bloodlines (breeder is an older lady that is retired from breeding, but she wants one last puppy from her bloodline so she's giving the other puppies for free to carefully chosen homes), but my hubby doesn't want to deal with the heavy shedding (living with a husky for so many years has turned him very anti fur lol). As tempted as I was I'm glad I said no though because my heart is so set on a Papillon and I know if I settle for another breed that will delay getting what I really want for another 7-10 years.

I'm glad Lance is healing up. What about the palsy? Was that from a disc pressing on the spinal cord or something?

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( June 15, 2015 at 10:37 PM )  

I think Corgis shed just as much as huskies! I love corgis but only want one at a time due to their strutural challenges combined with my want to really do dog sports :( Big atttitude, little legs... Papillons are really fun!

We don't know about the palsy. While it certainly could just be random, I highly doubt it with the timing. Likely it was more pressure built up. He's not on any drugs now and it never got any worse. They said it might never fully come back. Overall I don't think you can tell unless he's "smiling." Easier to tell in pictures than in real life.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"