Zumi's 7 month video

New Zumi video!



The Duck just loves life!  Such a clown.  

Kristen  – ( May 26, 2015 at 12:52 PM )  

She knows so many things! She's so grown up!

Merinda  – ( May 26, 2015 at 3:12 PM )  

She is so awesome!
And I love the clip of her & Vito swimming together: vastly different strokes :)

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( May 26, 2015 at 3:39 PM )  

I don't think I would call her grown up! Definitely a bratty teenager right now :)

Merina, Vito is special in oh so many ways!

Kristen  – ( May 26, 2015 at 8:18 PM )  

She looks very grown up and responsible in all the pieces you showed us. Yes, I called her responsible.

dogbird daily  – ( May 28, 2015 at 10:56 AM )  

Wow look at her go!! (Oh I giggled at Vito's swimming, you aren't kidding about Zumi being a better swimmer heehee)

Achieve1dream  – ( June 17, 2015 at 10:49 AM )  

She is so cute!!!!! I love the part with Penelope under her leg. Also Vito's swimming cracks me up. Is there a way to clicker train him the proper way to swim? Maybe with a doggie life vest to help get his rear up?? When can Zumi start competing? It's over a year and a half for agility right? She's doing so great with her training. I love the videos you make.

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( June 17, 2015 at 12:42 PM )  

I always kept hoping that with practice Vito's swimming would get better. Clearly not the case! He actually does have a lifejacket that I should make him wear more often. Maybe muscle memory of actually using his back legs would help. I wouldn't know how to go about clicker training it as even if I had a plan, I don't think there is any reward greater than the chance to splash around! It's SO bad though!

18 months is the standard age most organizations allow for competing. Some dogs are ready then, some people wait until 2yrs. Based on her level of focus I would think she would be ready then, but she could surprise me! Won't start real jump training and weave pole training until growth plates are closed.

Achieve1dream  – ( June 17, 2015 at 10:56 PM )  

Mentally she definitely seems ready, but yeah definitely need to wait for the growth plates to close. When does that happen in dogs??

The only thing I could think with Vito is put his jacket on, take him into a pool so you can see his legs and click when he moves a back leg, but like you said, what would the reward be?? He's not likely to want to eat while swimming. Doesn't he have a trick that involves kicking his hind legs back while laying on the floor? Maybe you could cue that while he's swimming? That might confuse him though. Hey at least he stays afloat hehe. :D

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck  – ( June 17, 2015 at 11:52 PM )  

You don't really know for sure when they're closed unless you do xrays, which I'm thinking about doing with Zumi at some point. Anywhere between 8mo-18mo of age, but the smaller the dog the faster with most dogs done by 12mo.

I think I'll just suck it up and bring Vito's life jacket along on our lake walks :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"