Disc Dog Seminar

Ducky and I had quite the adventure this last weekend.  Just the two of us headed out for a disc dog seminar and since the longish drive was made even longer due to construction I decided to camp there too.  This was the second time Zumi has gone camping, but her first overnight without the other dogs.


I must say it was really nice to not have to worry about any "special" rules like I do with Vito.  I could crate out of the car, I had the freedom to say "Yes!" to going out to dinner (even though we ended up just ordering pizza in) and she was just so relaxed and good.  The only issue was getting Zumi to drink.  I've discovered that she won't always drink much at all when at trials and apparently the heat and duration of stay didn't tempt her much more.  Wouldn't even eat ice cubes and Ducky loves her ice cubes!  So I'll have to look at getting a water supplement or something else to make it taste good enough to drink for her.

And we had a pretty good time at the seminar. Certainly getting me more motivated to actually practice the stuff with her and even more importantly to practice my throwing.  Zumi has done hardly any disc work despite my intentions, but at least she has a solid foundation with biting, tugging, and dropping.  We worked on adding a disc  for the first time into our "dog catch" that had kinda broken after I taught her to rebound off my hip.  
Then added her first time catching a disc after a leg vault vs just taking it from my hand.  That was painful, and extremely colorful reminders were left.  I immediately ordered a leg wrap when I arrived home!

We have a small disc dog event this Sunday with UpDog's Funkey game- a little of agility+disc in a snookerish type format.  

Amy / Layla the Malamute  – ( June 11, 2016 at 10:08 AM )  

For the drinking, I get the K9 Go Dog powder supplements. I don't follow their recommended serving size, I just sprinkle it on the water. It's like doggie crack! I need it to make sure mine drink, the hotter they are the less they want to drink.

Amy / Layla the Malamute  – ( June 11, 2016 at 10:09 AM )  

Not the website I order from (I order on Amazon) but it came up with some info for you: http://www.planetbluedog.com/products/k9-godog-recovery-drink-for-dogs

How Sam Sees It  – ( June 15, 2016 at 1:00 PM )  

I usually start my dogs on bottled water several days before a trip - including bottling our own water. The taste changes in bottles. I've had a couple of times where they wouldn't drink, and we found this worked pretty well.

Monty and Harlow

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! If the link to Post a Comment is not working, click where it lists "X Comments" at the bottom of the post, right after the date field.

Thanks for reading my blog! Please Subscribe by Email!

Contact Me!

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.- Roger Caras

Email: lkwaudby (at) gmail.com

Online Private Training: laurawaudby.com


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP   

href="http://laurawaudby.blogspot.com"/blog/feed/" onclick="pageTracker._trackPageview('/feed/');"